JUST BE YOU!
The theme of the conference was "Just Be You!" I loved that they focused on everyone being unique and having different ideas and personal stories to offer through blogging.
It reminded me of this Dr. Seuss quote. “Today You are You, that is Truer than True. There is no one alive who is Youer than You!” – Dr. Seuss
SEUSS STYLE DECOR
The bright colored whimsical decorations reminded me of Dr. Seuss. Wouldn’t these be perfect at a Dr. Seuss party? The Thistles were from Taiwan Imports (available during the winter holiday as white, then the SNAP! creative team spray painted them). The white vases are from IKEA. Upper right photo by Kendra at My Insanity.
EVERYONE HAS A FAVORITE CHILDREN’S BOOK:
As I met other bloggers we traded business cards. Mine was a bookmark. Everyone had creative cards including accessories like washi tape, baker’s twine, gum, cookies, glittered unicorns and more (it was a creative conference after all).
- Tauni, who started SNAP! loved reading Anne of Green Gables as a child. She now reads David Shannon books with her boys.
- Heather from The Sewing Loft Blog ~ I Know a Rhino by Charles Fuge. On the last page the little girl is surrounded by all her animals/friends. (The sketch looks just like Heather’s daughter and this is how she sleeps at night.)
- Amanda from Everyday Elements mentioned she homeschools her children. She mentioned her favorite book site is fiveinarow.com. She used the Sonlight curriculum which is literature driven. Books she mentioned were Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran, The Pumpkin Runner, Katie and the Big Snow, The Glorious Flight, The Rag Coat, A Little Red Light House (to name a few, she had a great list).
- Ashlee from I’m Topsy Turvy ~ Gregor the Overlander, The Ranger’s Apprentice, Fabel Haven, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, Hounds of Morgan, Sesame Street’s There’s a Monster at the End of This Book.
- Kara from Creations by Kara ~ The Francis books (especially the bedtime one), Tops and Bottoms (about a bear and rabbit), Ed and Fred Flea.
- Julie from Sweet’s Baby Mama ~ Going to Bed by Sandra Boyton
- Jamie from Love Laughter and Happily Ever After ~ Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
- Stephanie from Somewhat Simple ~ When You Give a Mouse a Cookie
- Destiny from A PLACE for Us ~ David Shannon books, Babysitter’s Club and Sweet Valley Twin series.
- Gwen from Gwenny Penny ~ I am a Bunny by Richard Scarry,
- Ana from We Love Citrus ~ Peaceful Pig
- Tam from Sew Dang Cute ~ Amelia Bedilia and Little Bear books
- Heather from A Couple of Craft Addicts ~ Mr. Pine’s Purple House and she also created this AMAZING DR. SEUSS PLAYROOM.
- Rebecca from Freckles Crafts ~ Mr. Brown Can Moo
- Vanessa from Our Thrifty Ideas ~ I’ll Love You For Always and the Babysitter’s Club series
- Camilla from 1st Lady of the House ~ Where the Wild Things Are and Fancy Nancy series
- Kristy from The Diary of Dave’s Wife ~ The Little Engine That Could
- Leanne from Organize and Decorate Everything ~ One Fish Two Fish by Dr. Seuss and If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
- Jonie from Just Between Friends ~ All the Berenstain Bear and Little Critter books by Mercer Mayer.
- Emily from Is This REALLY My Life ~ Ferdinand and Harold and the Purple Crayon.
- Katie from Sweet Rose Studio ~ Kevin Henkes books (especially Chrysanthemum) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (one of my childhood favorites).
- Kristin from The Vocal Sokol ~ All Mo Willems, A Fly Went By and Pickle Schiffon Pie.
- Elizabeth from Sew Chatty ~ The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
- Linda from Craftaholics Anonymous ~ The Little Engine That Could
- Kristyn from Lil’ Luna ~ loves David Shannon books – She also has the best story so I saved her for last. Her husband proposed by writing a children’s book! Kristyn collected children’s books before she got married. Her husband knew how much she loved them so he wrote a book, had a friend illustrate it and had it printed. Then he hid it at Barnes and Nobel. He took her there one day and led her to the children’s book area. He pulled his book off the shelf, read it to her and proposed right there. What a romantic and unique story. I love it soooooo much!
Speaking of Books and Bloggers
If you are a blogger, how do you explain what you do to your kids?
I received a copy of this book called My Mommy Is A Blogger! from Sommer, who blogs at Green and Clean Mom, last year at Evo’ and have loved reading it to my kids. It helped open up a conversation to discuss why I often check my email and sit at the computer. My kids giggle each time the child in the story calls her mom a booger. She takes her mom to school for career day and has to explain what her mom does. I suggest sharing this with your kids to help them understand what you do. The illustrations are great and it is a quick read for younger children to sit through.
FAVORITE PARTS OF SNAP!
Meeting in Real Life:
I first met several of these bloggers at the Evo’ Conference (for Women in social media in Park City each July). Some live near me so I’ve been lucky to see them at other local events as well. It was fun to see them again.
I loved the Ultimate DIY class where Stacy, from Not Just a Housewife, brought her power tools to show us some tips on how to use them. Jen, from Tatertots and Jello taught about spotting trends, Ashlee from I’m Topsy Turvy made a magnificent cake (seen here, and was my roommate). And I finally met Tara, from Tara Dara Made It, who I’ve interacted with through twitter, instagram and blogging but now I know she is a real person. She makes amazing Dr. Seuss fabric cases (for business cards, ipods, phones, ipads). Check out this case.
1. I also met Jamie and Julie who are sisters and just getting rolling in the blog world. Julie has started a blog (SweetsBabyMama) about her decision to become a surrogate mother. Jamie has a personal family blog but plans to explore more.
2. Another great sister duo is Julie and Diana from I Heart Salt Lake.
3. Steph, from The Daily Blarg, did much of the behind the scenes planning and online coordination for the conference and Mandy, from Vintage Revivals, is a DIY queen.
4. Kami of NoBiggie, and my other roommie Jill, Being Spiffy.
Picture 1. 300 + bloggers rushed at the opening of The Queen Bee Market. This handmade market had all the trendy décor, accessories, and more. I ended up grabbing owls from The Salty Bison, Earrings from Hoop-La and Frames from Cut It Out.
2. I met Cindy (@VitaGirl) who I follow on Instagram and play DrawSomething with.
3. We also had a fun dance night (I mainly took pictures) and 4. ate fabulous food.
New Look for ObSEUSSed Coming Soon:
After the conference I found out I won a prize from SNAP! I get to have my blog redesigned by Kendra at Key Lime Digital Designs. I can’t wait to make some changes and make my site a little more user friendly and easy on the eyes.
If you consider yourself crafty at all, and you like to blog or look at blogs, SNAP! will be happening again next spring so watch for details. They also have a wonderful community they keep connected through the year with Twitter chats each Thursday at 10:30 MST (#SNAPit) and great features, crafting and blogging tips on their blog all year.